On behalf of the members of Bassenthwaite Sailing Club I would like to extend a warm welcome to you.
Much of what goes on during the week will be familiar to our frequent visitors, and, in addition we have taken into account the valuable feedback provided by our guests and members following last year’s event.
Joe Roberts, our Sailing Secretary, has organised a comprehensive racing programme which, together with the varied conditions that will no doubt prevail, will hopefully result in close and competitive racing. We will continue with the revised format for the pursuit races that have been successful for the last few years (with a moving finishing line).
We are delighted to have secured The Lakes Distillery as our lead sponsor again, together with a range of further sponsors throughout the week. You will find many of their flyers in the welcome pack.
Thanks to our social secretary, Jo Van Lachterop, we have a packed entertainment programme. Lookout for notices on the board for children’s activities and any other updates.
I would like to draw everyone’s attention to a few things:
• The reception office will be open all day on Friday 3rd August and Saturday 4th August and all morning on Monday 6th August and Saturday 11th August. If the reception office is not open and you need some help just ask for one of the Council Members (bar staff will happily point you in the right direction).
• Parents/Guardians of competitors under 18 years old are required to complete a medical consent form. To save time the form can be downloaded here and handed in at reception on arrival.
• We have regraded the bottom camping field. In order to protect the grass we will NOT be allowing cars onto this area. If you choose to camp here, cars will be able to unpack next to the camping area and assistance will be given to transporting your tent etc. to your desired pitch.
• This year Trident UK will be providing an onsite chandlery until Wednesday. Please see details enclosed in the welcome pack for opening times and contact details.
• We are really pleased to welcome Alfie’s Events caterers to Bass Week. They will be offering breakfasts, lunches, evening meals and snacks, and I hope that you will support them. The menu plan is very varied and they do chips!
Themed Evening Meals
Friday: Pie, mash and peas.
Saturday: Wood fired pizzas
Sunday: Gourmet BBQ choice of: meats, salads, rice, potatoes, sauces etc
Friday: Fish and chips evening
Saturday: Wood fired pizzas
• Cycling in the vicinity of the Clubhouse, and in and around the dinghy park, is not permitted on safety grounds. This particularly applies to small children with sharp handlebars.
• We are conscious that bottles, broken glass or other sharp objects can be found in the lake and would therefore request that everyone wears appropriate footwear and is extra vigilant in and around the lake shore, whether they be sailing or playing.
• In respect of playing around the water’s edge, we ask that the slipways are kept clear for launching and recovery at the start and end of each race. Don’t let this stop the fun though!
• We urge non-competitors to avoid using the shower facilities during the hour either side of the conclusion of racing each day to allow the sailors access.
• Virtually all those involved in organising and running the event are volunteers, we would therefore ask everyone to please tidy up after themselves whenever and wherever possible.
• Only alcohol purchased at the bar should be consumed within the club house.
• With the exception of guide / assistance dogs, we do not allow dogs on site during the regatta week
Naomi Smith, our Vice Commodore, has chaired the committee responsible for arranging our regatta week this year and will be available on site throughout the week for any issues that may arise. Naomi and her family can be found in caravan position 3 on the top field. Other members of Council will be pleased to lend assistance should Naomi not be available.
As ever, our regatta week is organised and run by a dedicated team of members and we continue to be very grateful for anyone who is willing to give a hand with tasks such as race office or rescue duty, etc. Please have a word at reception or with Naomi, myself or any of the committee members if you are able to lend a hand.
Finally, Becky and I hope that you will be able to join ourselves, the Council and members of Bassenthwaite Sailing Club, at the Commodore’s reception on the evening of Saturday 4th August.
Best wishes and please accept our thanks once again for choosing to spend your holiday time with us this year.
Robin Dawson, Commodore.